National Hydrology Project reveiwed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure; Environment
- Review of the National Hydrology Project was carried out by Minister of Jal Shakti recently.
- The project is World Bank supported initiative of Ministry of Jal Shakti
Important value additions
- National Hydrology Project (NHP) was started in the year 2016
- It is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% grant to Implementing agencies on pan India basis.
- Budget outlay is of Rs 3680 Crore to be spent over a period of 8 years.
- Aim: (1) Improving the extent, reliability and accessibility of water resources information; (2) To strengthen the capacity of targeted water resource management institutions in India.
- Under the NHP, a nationwide repository of water resources data – NWIC has also been established.