Revised Cost Estimate of North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project (NERPSIP) approved
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Revised Cost Estimate (RCE) of North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project (NERPSIP) at an estimated cost of Rs. 6,700 crore.
- The scheme is being implemented through POWERGRID, a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU).
- Ministry: Ministry of Power
- Beneficiary states: Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura.
- The scheme is targeted to be commissioned by December 2021.
- After commissioning, the project will be owned and maintained by the respective North Eastern State Utilities.
- Objective of the project: Economic development of North Eastern Region through strengthening of Intra – State Transmission and Distribution systems.
Do you know?
- The Scheme was initially approved in 2014 as a Central Sector Plan Scheme of Ministry of Power.
- It is being funded with the assistance of World Bank fund and by the Government of India (Gol) on 50:50 basis except for the capacity building component for Rs 89 crore, which will be entirely funded by the Gol.