Public Wi-Fi Networks
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions & GS-III – Infrastructure
- The government has given its approval for setting up of Public Wi-Fi Networks by Public Data Office Aggregators (PDOAs) to provide public Wi-Fi service through Public Data Offices (PDOs) spread across the country to accelerate proliferation of Broadband Internet services through Public Wi-Fi network.
- This Public Wi-Fi Access Network Interface will be known as PM-WANI.
- PM-WANI eco-system will be operated by different players:
- Public Data Office (PDO): It will establish, maintain, and operate only WANI compliant Wi-Fi Access Points and deliver broadband services to subscribers.
- Public Data Office Aggregator (PDOA): It will be an aggregator of PDOs and perform the functions relating to Authorization and Accounting.
- App Provider: It will develop an App to register users and discover WANI compliant Wi-Fi hotspots in the nearby area and display the same within the App for accessing the internet service.
- Central Registry: It will maintain the details of App Providers, PDOAs, and PDOs. The Central Registry will be maintained by C-DoT.
- No registration would be required for PDOs.
- PDOAs and App Providers will get themselves registered with DoT through online registration portal (SARALSANCHAR) of DoT, without paying any registration fee.
- There shall be no license fee for providing Broadband Internet through these public Wi-Fi networks.
- The proposal will promote the growth of Public Wi-Fi Networks in the country.
- It will help in proliferation of Broadband Internet, enhancement of income and employment and empowerment of people.