Rehabilitation Centre For Monkeys
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- The first rescue and rehabilitation centre for monkeys in Telangana was inaugurated at Gandi Ramanna Haritavanam near Chincholi village in Nirmal district.
- Monkeys that venture into human habitations would be caught in a phased manner, brought to the centre where they would be operated on for birth control and would be released into the forests again after the rehabilitation period.
- To make the rehabilitation centre a sustainable habitat for the primates, several fruit and flowering plants, a variety of trees that provide shade, and medicinal plants would be grown.
- It is the second such facility for the primates in the country.
- The rehabilitation centre for the monkeys was also the first such facility in south India.
- The other facility in the country was in Himachal Pradesh.