JSA II: Catch The Rain Awareness Generation Campaign
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- National Water Mission (NWM), Ministry of Jal Shakti in collaboration with Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports launched the “JSA II: Catch the Rain” Awareness Generation Campaign.
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangthan will undertake the campaign covering 623 districts across the nation from December 2020 to March 2021.
- NWM has launched a campaign Catch the rain” with tag line “catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls” in order to nudge all stake-holders to create Rain Water Harvesting Structures (RWHS) to store rain water as rains falling in the four/five months of monsoon are the only source of water for most parts of the country.
Important value additions
The objective of the National Water Mission
- Increase water use efficiency by 20% through regulations, differential entitlements and pricing.
- A considerable share of water needs of urban areas is to be met through recycling of wastewater.
- Water requirements of coastal cities are to be met through the adoption of low-temperature desalination technologies.
- Consult with states to ensure that basin-level management strategies are made to deal with variability in rainfall and river flows due to climate change.
- Enhance storage above and below ground, implement rainwater harvesting.
- Adopt large scale irrigation programmes which rely on sprinklers, drip irrigation and ridge and furrow irrigation.