The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approves proposals to procure equipment
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence & Security
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in its meeting approved proposals to procure equipment worth Rs 28,000 crore.
- Ministry: Ministry of Defence
- Acquisition proposals approved include the DRDO designed and developed Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C) Systems for the Indian Air Force, Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessels for the Indian Navy and Modular Bridges for the Indian Army.
- This is the first meeting of the DAC under the new regime of Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020.
- These are the first set of Acceptance of Necessity (AoNs) accorded.
- Majority of AoNs are being accorded in the highest categorization of Buy Indian (IDDM).
- 6 of the 7 proposals for which AoNs were granted will be sourced from the Indian industry to give a boost to the “Make in India” and “Atmanirbhar Bharat” initiatives of the Government.