CSIR-CMERI unveils India’s First-ever Aqua Rejuvenation Plant
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Infrastructure; Environment
- CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur (West Bengal) unveiled the first-ever Waste Water Treatment Technology Model which purifies Waste Water for Irrigation/Farming purposes.
- It facilitates an Organic Farming Model through treated Waste Water.
- Aqua Rejuvenation Plant (ARP) is an Integrated Waste Water Rejuvenation Model which has Six-Stage purification profile for comprehensive treatment of Waste Water, based upon diverse purification parameters.
- The approx. 24,000 litres of Water that can be rejuvenated using ARP will be sufficient for almost 4 acres of Agricultural Land (barring seasonal variations in water requirements).
- The used filtration media have been specially developed to handle Indian Sewage Water Parameters and based upon Geographical Variations they may be modified.
- The system has dual benefit. While the treated water is being used for irrigation purpose, the filtered sludge generated is also utilized as manure / fertilizer.
- The bio char prepared from dry leaves falling in autumn season is also used for mixing in soil as it reduces the water requirement for irrigation thus saving precious water.