DRDO Signs MOU with MAHA-METRO for implementation of Advanced Biodigester
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Sci & Tech, Environment
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation (MAHA –METRO), a joint venture company of the GoI and Government of Maharashtra, are working together to conserve water and protect the environment by installing DRDO’s eco-friendly biodigester units in its facilities.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was inked recently between MAHA-METRO and DRDO.
- Through MoU, DRDO will render technical support for the implementation of its advanced biodigester Mk-II technology for the treatment of human waste in the metro rail network.
- DRDO’s biodigester is an indigenous, green and cost-effective technology,
- A customized version of this MK-II Biodigester, suitable for treating human waste generated from houseboats in Dal Lake was also successfully demonstrated by the DRDO to J&K Administration.
Important value additions
- A biodigester system utilizes organic waste, particularly animal and human excreta, to produce fertilizer and biogas.
- It consists of an airtight, high-density polyethylene container within which excreta diluted in water flow continuously and are fermented by microorganisms present in the waste.
- The fermentation process is anaerobic, i.e., it takes place without oxygen.
- The bacteria responsible for decomposition are methanogenic (i.e., they produce methane known as biogas).
- The processed manure is an organic, pathogen-free fertilizer that is rich in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
- The products are primarily for self-consumption on farms.