Economic Survey 2020-21: Education
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Education
- The Economic Survey 2020-21 states that online schooling took off in a big way during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The percentage of enrolled children from government and private schools owning a smartphone increased enormously from 36.5% in 2018 to 61.8% in 2020 in rural India.
- PM eVIDYA is a comprehensive initiative to unify all efforts related to digital/online/on-air education to enable multi-mode and equitable access to education for students and teachers.
- Around 92 courses have started and 1.5 crore students are enrolled under Swayam MOOCs which are online courses relating to NIOS.
- PRAGYATA guidelines on digital education have been developed with a focus on online/blended/digital education for students who are presently at home due to closure of schools.
- The MANODARPAN initiative for psychological support has been included in Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- India has attained a literacy level of almost 96% at the elementary school level.
- As per National Sample Survey (NSS), the literacy rate of persons of age 7 years and above at the All India level stood at 77.7 per cent.
- Steps taken by the Government to ensure quality education: Click here