Feasibility studies of Solution Mining of Potash to be taken up in Rajasthan
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Sci & tech; Agriculture
- A tripartite agreement was signed between Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL), Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals Limited (RSMML) and the Department of Mines & Geology (DMG), Govt. of Rajasthan for taking up feasibility studies of Solution Mining of Potash in the state of Rajasthan.
- Rajasthan has huge Potash and Halite resources spread across 50,000 sq. kms in the Nagaur – Ganganagar basin in the northwest.
- Bedded Salt formations are strategically useful for underground oil storage, repositories for hydrogen, ammonia and helium gas, storage of compresser gas and nuclear waste.
- Potash & Sodium Chloride from the Bedded Salt are extensively used in the Fertiliser Industry and the Chemical Industry respectively.
- Paving the way for the 1st Solution Mining project in the country, this project will generate employment.
Important value additions
- Potash includes various mined and manufactured salts that contain potassium in water-soluble form.
- The name derives from pot ash, which refers to plant ashes or wood ash soaked in water in a pot, which was the primary means of manufacturing the product before the Industrial Era.
- Potash is produced worldwide mostly for use in fertilizer.