Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Defence & History
- DRDO successfully conducted captive and release trial of indigenously developed Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from Hawk-I of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) off the Odisha coast.
- The smart weapon was successfully test fired from Indian Hawk-Mk132 of HAL.
- This was the 9th successful mission of SAAW conducted by DRDO till now.
- Indigenously designed and developed by: DRDO
- This is 125 Kg class smart weapon, capable of engaging ground enemy airfield assets such as radars, bunkers, taxi tracks, and runways etc. up to a range of 100 kms.
- The high precision guided bomb is light weight as compared to weapon system of the same class.