First direct flight between Kalaburagi to Tirupati flagged off under UDAN
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions & GS-III – Infrastructure
- Star Air has commenced the direct daily flight operations from Kalaburagi, Karnataka to Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh under the RCS-UDAN (Regional Connectivity Scheme – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik).
Important value additions
- It is also called as the ‘Spiritual Capital of Andra Pradesh’.
- It is home to the most famous Sri Venkateshwara Swamy Temple popularly called ‘Tirupati Balaji Temple’ which has its name in the most-visited shrine across the globe.
- Apart from the Tirupati Balaji temple, the place is also famous for other historical temples, Sri Venkateshwara National Park, Deer Park, Tirupati, & Talakona Waterfalls.
- The Tirumala Hills in Tirupati is the second oldest rock mountain hills in the world.
- Tirupati Laddu received Geographical indication tag which entitles that only Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams can make and sell it.
UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik)
- It is a regional airport development and “Regional Connectivity Scheme” (RCS) of Government of India
- Objective: Letting the common citizen of the country fly
- Aim: (1) Making air travel affordable and widespread; (2) To boost inclusive national economic development, job growth and air transport infrastructure development of all regions and states of India.
- Ministry: Ministry of Civil Aviation
Do you know?
- Inaugurated under the UDAN scheme, Kalaburagi airport recently completed a successful 1 year of service.
- The airport has become the fastest growing airport in the country.