India commences exports of Moringa powder
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Trade
- India commences exports of Moringa powder, keeping in mind the rising global demand, because of its nutritional properties.
- In a bid to promote Moringa (botanical name Moringa oleifera) products exports from India, APEDA has been supporting private entities in creating necessary infrastructure.
- With more Moringa processing units being created through support of APEDA, the exports would be increasing in the next few years which would bring benefits to the farmers.
Important value additions
- Moringa has been used for centuries due to its medicinal properties and health benefits in various forms.
- Globally, the demand for Moringa products, such as Moringa Leaf Powder and Moringa Oil, has been witnessing healthy growth.
- Moreover, international organizations and institutions are exploring the best ways on how to use Moringa as a nutritional supplement and in food fortification.
- There are several species of Moringa across the world.
- Its usage has been well received among the global consumers for its nutritional, medicinal, culinary uses.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority
- It is an apex body under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, responsible for the export promotion of agricultural products.
- APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December, 1985.
Some of the functions of APEDA are as following:
- Promotion of exports of agricultural and processed food products. Promotion of export oriented production and development of the Scheduled products.
- To make Improvement in numerous areas such as packaging, marketing for the Scheduled products outside India.
- Setting standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Financial assistance, reliefs and subsidy to the relating industries.
- To provide training in the related areas