India to chair three-key subsidiary bodies of the UNSC
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International relations
- India will be chairing three-key subsidiary bodies of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- The panels are: Counter-Terrorism Committee, Taliban Sanctions Committee, and Libya Sanctions committee.
- Chairing of Counter-Terrorism committee has a special resonance for India which has not only been at the forefront of fighting terrorism especially cross border terrorism but has also been one of its biggest victims.
- Taliban Sanctions Committee has always been a high priority for India keeping in mind its strong interest and commitment to peace, security, development, and progress of Afghanistan.
- India will be assuming the chair of the Libya Sanctions Committee at a critical juncture when there is an international focus on Libya and on the peace process.