NCAVES India Forum 2021 organised
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Ecology; Economy
- Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of the Ecosystem Services (NCAVES) India Forum-2021 is being organised.
- Ministry: Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- The NCAVES Project is funded by the EU.
- Jointly implemented by: United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Secretariat of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD).
- In India, it is being implemented by: Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation in close collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC).
- India is one of the five countries taking part in this project.
- The other countries being Brazil, China, South Africa and Mexico.
- The participation in the project has helped MoSPI commence the compilation of the Environment Accounts as per the UN-SEEA framework and release environmental accounts in its publication “EnviStats India” on an annual basis since 2018.
- Under the NCAVES Project, the India-EVL Tool has been developed.
- This is a look-up tool giving a snapshot of the values of various ecosystem services in the different States of the country, based on about 80 studies conducted across the country.