India’s First Indigenously Developed 9mm Machine Pistol
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Sci & Tech
- India’s first indigenous 9mm Machine Pistol has been jointly developed by DRDO and Indian Army.
- The Machine Pistol fires the in-service 9mm ammunition and sports an upper receiver made from aircraft grade Aluminium and lower receiver from carbon fibre.
- 3D Printing process has been used in designing and prototyping of various parts including trigger components made by metal 3D printing.
- The weapon has huge potential in Armed forces.
- The weapon is named “Asmi” meaning “Pride”, “Self-Respect” & “Hard Work”.
- This small step will pave way for self reliance and it is expected that the Services and Paramilitary Forces (PMFs) will induct this expeditiously.