Iron-Ore Policy 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure; Economy
- The Ministry of Railways has approved a new iron-ore policy governing the allocation of rakes and transportation of iron-ore.
- This new policy has been named as Iron-ore Policy 2021 and shall come into effect from February 10, 2021.
- The provisions of the new policy will be updated in the rake allotment system module by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
- Scrutiny of documentation by Railways has been removed.
- Executive Director Rake Movement of Railway Board (EDRM) office, Kolkata which has been sanctioning programmes for movement of iron-ore traffic will have no regulatory role in the new policy.
- Customers now desirous of moving their traffic under any priority will have to give (an) undertaking that they have procured, transported and utilized materials as per rules and regulations of Central and State Governments.
- Higher priority will be given to the movement of iron-ore traffic for domestic manufacturing activity.
- Old and new plants will be treated similarly as far as allotment and loading of rakes is concerned.
Do you know?
- Iron ore is the second most important stream of traffic of Railways and along with steel accounts for nearly 17% of total 1210 million tonne freight loading of Indian Railways in 2019-2020.