North East’s first-ever specialized “Ginger” Processing Plant in Meghalaya being revived
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II –Policies and Interventions
- North East’s first-ever specialised “Ginger” Processing Plant at district Ri-Bhoui in Meghalaya is being revived and is likely to become functional in the beginning of 2021.
- The Plant is located at the Export Promotion Industrial Park (EPIP), Raja Bhagan, Byrnihat Hatt.
- It will process ginger and help in preparing products like waxed ginger, ginger paste, ginger powder, ginger flakes, ginger oil etc.
- Significantly ginger has attained a place of prominence in recent months because of its reported properties as an immunity booster against COVID-19 Virus.
- The ginger products being prepared from this Plant will be available for domestic consumption and will be able to meet the Global demand as well.
- This will also be in keeping with Prime Minister Modi’s calls for “Vocal for Local”.
- For the PPP mode, an Operation and Maintenance Operator was selected through the tendering process and the work on setting up and reviving the Plant is under progress.
Do you know?
- North Eastern Region of India produces about 450,000 Metric Ton of high-quality ginger every year but most of it is sold at a lower price due to lack of processing and cold storage facilities.
- The Plant at Meghalaya will give the much-needed facility to the ginger growers.
- They will be able to use their capacities and at the same time optimally utilize the natural resources.
- There is also a plan to set up 100 new fresh retail points in Northeast and Fruit Kiosks at Guwahati and other major towns of the North Eastern Region.
- Most of these will be in the PPP mode.