Place in news: IIM Sambalpur
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Education
- Indian Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of the permanent campus of IIM Sambalpur recently.
Important value additions
- Sambalpur is a city in Odisha, located on the banks of river Mahanadi.
- Sambalpur is one of the ancient places of India, with recorded settlements in the prehistoric age.
- It is known for Sambalpuri Saree which is known for their incorporation of traditional motifs like shankha (shell), chakra (wheel), phula (flower). It is made from fabric woven on a hand-loom.
- Hirakud Dam, the longest earthen dam in the world and the largest artificial lake of Asia, is at Sambalpur.
- Sambalpur derives its name from the Goddess Samalei who is regarded as the reigning deity of the region.