Place in news: Thousand Islands
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International relations
- On 9 January 2021, a Boeing 737-500 (PK-CLC) operating Sriwijaya Air Flight 182 went missing after taking off from Jakarta Soekarno–Hatta Airport on route to Pontianak Supadio Airport.
- The aircraft crashed near the Thousand Islands.
Important value additions
- The Thousand Islands (officially Kepulauan Seribu) are a chain of islands to the north of Jakarta’s coast.
- It forms the only regency of Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia.
- It consists of a string of 342 islands stretching 45 km (28 mi) north into the Java Sea at West Jakarta Bay and in fact north of Banten Province.