Progress of Work on Railways National Project in Jammu and Kashmir reviewed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Progress of Work on Railways National Project in Jammu and Kashmir was recently reviewed.
- Work on the Remaining Portion of the Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) Project to be completed in Mission Mode.
- Focus on Providing All-Weather Connectivity to Kashmir Region from rest of the Country.
Important value additions
- The USBRL is a National project undertaken by the Indian Railways for construction of broad-gauge railway line through the Himalayas.
- Aim: Connecting the Kashmir region with rest of the country.
- The all-weather, comfortable, convenient and cost effective mass transportation system will be the catalyst for the overall development of the region.
- Currently, the line is in operational use for running trains between Baramulla-Banihal in Kashmir valley and Jammu-Udhampur-Katra