Economic Survey 2020-21: Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Health
- Key Finding of Economic Survey 2020-21 Reveals Strong Positive Impact of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) on Health Outcomes.
Observations by the Survey:
- The proportion of households with any usual member covered under health insurance or financing scheme increased by 54% from NFHS 4 to NFHS 5 in the states that adopted PMJAY.
- It decreased by 10% in the states that did not adopt PMJAY.
- The proportion reflects the success of PMJAY in enhancing health insurance coverage.
- The reduction in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) was 20% compared to 12% in PMJAY and non-PMJAY states respectively.
- The proportion of people ensuring family planning rose across all the states between the two surveys.
- The increase is much more significant in the states that adopted PM-JAY indicating its effectiveness.
- The proportion of women with total unmet family planning needs decreased by 31% in the PMJAY states.
- The decline in the non-PMJAY states was merely 10%.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana: Click here