Integrated Bamboo Treatment Plant inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and Interventions & GS – III – Economy
- Integrated Bamboo Treatment Plant was inaugurated in the North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC) in Byrnihat near Guwahati, Assam.
- Ministry: Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER)
- The plant is based on vacuum-pressure-impregnation technique.
- Funded by: National Bamboo Mission (NBM) and North Eastern Council (NEC).
- This is an initiative of the central government to make India self-reliant in bamboo industry and create employment in this sector.
Important value additions
- The Union Territory of J & K will set up three Bamboo Clusters through collaboration from NECBDC.
- Under these clusters, Agarbatti, baskets and charcoal shall be produced respectively.
- Home grown bamboo is exempt from the purview of the 100 year old Indian Forest Act.
- During the COVID-pandemic, the import duty on Agarbatti coming from other countries has been hiked to nearly 35%.
- This will discourage import of bamboo made Aggarbatties and encourage domestic production.