Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) receives the Initial Operational Clearance
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Defence and Security
- The Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) received the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) for the Indian Army from the Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC).
Important value additions
- The LUH is a three-ton class new generation single-engine helicopter.
- Indigenously designed and developed: Rotary Wing Research and Design Centre of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- Its features are suitable for operations in the diverse operating conditions unique to India.
- The LUH will replace the aging fleet of Cheetah/Chetak helicopters operated by the Services.
- The LUH is powered by a single turboshaft e,ngine with adequate power margins to accomplish high altitude missions in the Himalayas with ease.
- LUH is equipped with Smart Cockpit Display System (Glass Cockpit), state-of-the-art HUMS (Health & Usage Monitoring System) and is designed for various utility and armed roles.