LPG to be transported Through Inland Waterways
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Infrastructure
- Now, LPG can be transported through Inland Waterways.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has signed MoU with MOL (Asia Oceania) Pvt. Ltd for transportation of LPG through National Waterways-1 and 2
- Ministry: Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
- MOL Group will invest for construction and operation under Make-in-India initiative.
- This project will help reduce the carbon footprints, lowering the overall logistics cost.
- It shall also contribute to UJJWALA scheme.
- Significance Of Project: Currently, 60% of the LPG is transported through road. Strikes by transporters, road blockages also cause delay in transportation sometimes. Also, there are some areas which are difficult to approach through rail or road especially in the North-East region