‘Made In India’ MK-III Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Defence and Security; Indigenous technology
- The Indian Navy received three “made in India” Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH) from the state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).
- The helicopters are customised for coastal security.
- The naval version of ALH is fitted with an array of advanced sensors that can detect Mumbai terror attacks like intrusions on Indian waters.
- These helicopters have the latest-generation avionics, indigenous low-frequency dunking sonar, a full glass cockpit with an integrated architecture display system, and powerful Shakti engines.
- It also has a nose-mounted surveillance radar with 270-degree coverage that can detect and track multiple marine targets.
- Its synthetic aperture radar and inverse synthetic aperture radar can detect targets on the sea.