‘Population Versus Planet’ Conference held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Society
- ‘Population versus Planet’ Conference was held recently.
- It is a part of WION and Zee Media’s year-long campaign called ‘Mission Sustainability: Population Vs. Planet’.
- World population has witnessed an increase from 1 billion in the year 1800 to 7.8 billion today.
- India’s population has increased from 36 crore in 1951 to 121.02 crore in 2011.
- It has witnessed significant decline in both fertility and mortality rates.
- The birth rate has reduced from 40.8/1000 in 1951 to 20.0 in 2018.
- Total Fertility Rate (TFR) has declined from 6.0 in 1951 to 2.2 in 2015-16.
- Death rate in India has declined from 7 in 2012 to 6.2 in 2018.
- According to Population projection for India and States 2011-2036, the TFR is expected to decline further.
- The youth population in the age group of 15-24 years is projected to decline from 233 million in 2011 to 227 million in 2036.
- The proportion of the working age population is expected to increase from 61% in 2011 to 65% in 2036.