Research on Various Aspects of Medicinal Plants
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Health
- The National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB), Ministry of AYUSH, under its Central Sector Scheme on ‘Conservation, Development and Sustainable Management of Medicinal Plants’ is supporting research & development projects on various aspects of medicinal plants to government as well as private universities/research institutions/organizations across the country.
- Researches undertaken at the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) under the Ministry of AYUSH have developed 24 new drugs.
- Also, the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) has developed herbal formulations through their supported researches at CSIR-CIMAP, CSIR-NBRI, and CSIR-CDRI.
- Technology has been transferred to industry for its commercialization.
- ICAR- DMAPR is also focusing on researches and plant genetic resources/quality planting material.
- Institutes that are engaged in developing new medicines can take the advantage of such quality planting material.
- Ministry of AYUSH under its Central Sector Scheme for Promotion of International Cooperation, (IC Scheme), undertakes various measures to promote & propagate AYUSH systems of medicine including Ayurveda across the globe.
- Also, the CCRAS, has signed various Agreements/MoU for promotion of Ayurveda/Ayurvedic Medicines Internationally.
Important value additions
The National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB)
- It has been established by Government of India to coordinate with all matters relating to Medicinal Plants and Support Policies and Programs for growth of trade, export, conservation and cultivation.
- The board is working under Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha & Homeopathy (AYUSH).
- NMPB Consortia For Medicinal Plants: Click here