Ropeways And Alternate Mobility Solutions
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Infrastructure
- The Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways will, from now on, also look after the development of Ropeways and Alternate Mobility Solutions.
- The Ministry will also look after the construction, research, and policy in this area.
- Formulation of institutional, financial, and regulatory framework for the technology will also fall under the ambit of this move.
- The move is expected to give a boost to the sector, by setting up a regulatory regime, and facilitating research and new technology to come into this sector.
- An amendment to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 has been notified, to enable this step.
The important benefits of this step could be:
- Last mile connectivity for remote locations
- Reducing congestion on mainstream roads
- Chance to develop world-class ropeway infrastructure
- Setting up of an organised and dedicated rope-way and alternative mobility solutions industry
- New technology, like CPT – Cable Propelled Transit coming to the sector
- Setting safety norms for unregulated ropeways