CSIR Floriculture Mission
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & tech; Agriculture
- Recently, CSIR Floriculture Mission has been approved.
- It will be implemented in 21 States/UTs.
- Available knowledge base in CSIR Institutes will be utilized and leveraged to help Indian farmers and industry re-position itself to meet the import requirements.
- Floriculture, or flower farming, is a discipline of horticulture concerned with the cultivation of flowering and ornamental plants for gardens and for floristry.
- Implemented by: CSIR in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)-Directorate of Floriculture; KVIC; APEDA, TRIFED; Fragrance and Flavour Development Centre (FFDC), Kannauj, Ministry of MSME and Universities.
- Despite the fact that India has diverse agro-climatic and edaphic conditions, and rich plant diversity, it shares only 0.6% of global floriculture market.
- At least 1200 million USD worth of floriculture products are being imported by India.