Fuel cell-based Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Defence and Security
- Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System was recently developed by DRDO.
- It is an important milestone.
- The system is being developed by Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL) of DRDO.
- AIP has a force multiplier effect on lethality of a diesel electric submarine.
- It enhances the submerged endurance of the boat.
- AIP also has merits in performance compared to other technologies.
- AIP of NMRL is unique as the hydrogen is generated onboard.