Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process (HoA-IP)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- India will attend the 9th Ministerial Conference of Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process on Afghanistan.
- Location – Tajikistan
Important value additions
- The Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process (HoA-IP) is an initiative of Afghanistan and Turkey, which was officially launched at a conference hosted by Turkey in Istanbul in 2011.
- Since then, Afghanistan supported by 14 Participating Countries of the Heart of Asia Region, 16 Supporting Countries beyond the region and 12 Regional and International Organizations are leading and coordinating this Process.
- It is a platform for promoting regional security, economic and political cooperation centred on Afghanistan through dialogue and a set of Confidence Building Measures (CBMs).
- De facto Secretariat: The Directorate General for Regional Cooperation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan
- The geographical area covering the 15 Participating Countries of the HoA-IP is defined as the Heart of Asia Region.
- It is one of the biggest regions in the world with a collective geographical area covering around 27% of the land area of the Earth.
Do you know?
- As the lead country for Trade, Commerce and Investment Confidence Building Measure under HoA-IP, India has made concerted efforts for strengthening regional connectivity for the greater economic integration of Afghanistan with the region.
- A dedicated Air Freight Corridor between cities of India and Afghanistan and operationalisation of Chabahar Port in Iran are steps in that direction.
- External affairs minister also visited the Dushanbe-Chortut Highway Project and lauded the work being done by Border Roads Organisation under Indian grant assistance.
- The 8-lane highway will decongest Dushanbe.