ILO Report on Indian Workers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy; Employment
- ‘Global Wage Report 2020-21: Wages and minimum wages in the time of COVID-19’ was recently released.
- Released by: International Labour Organisation
- The Report comments on various issues including on Indian workers having low average wages, longer hours.
- It also reported that the workers in Asia and the Pacific enjoyed the highest real wage growth among all regions over the period 2006–19.
- The report has taken into account the National Floor Level Minimum Wage which is Rs.176/- per day.
- However, actual wages are far higher.
- If the median of the minimum wages in different states is drawn, it would be Rs.269/- per day in India.
Do you know?
Code on Wages, 2019
- It universalises and creates a statutory right of minimum wages for all workers whether in organized or unorganised sector.
- A new concept of statutory floor wage has also been introduced in the Code on Wages.
- The Code also provides that the minimum wages are to be ordinarily reviewed and revised by the appropriate Governments in intervals not exceeding five years.