India’s list of World Heritage Sites
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Culture
- Lok Sabha was informed about the Declaration of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
- Ministry: Ministry of Culture and Tourism
- At present, India has 38 World Heritage Properties.
- All the sites are conserved as per ASI’s Conservation Policy.
- India has 42 sites listed under Tentative List which is a prerequisite condition for inscription as World Heritage Site.
- ‘Dholavira: A Harappan City’ has been submitted for nomination of World Heritage Site in 2019-2020.
- Nomination dossiers of ‘Santiniketan, India’ and ‘Sacred Ensemble of Hoysalas’ have been submitted to UNESCO for the year 2021-22 cycle.
- Sites are selected on the basis of their potential for fulfilling criteria under Operational Guidelines and demonstration of Outstanding Universal Value.