Initiatives for development of Nomadic Tribes
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – International Relations
- Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment informed Rajya Sabha about initiatives for development of Nomadic Tribes.
- The Development and Welfare Board for De-notified (DNTs), Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Communities was constituted in 2019 for three years extendable up to 5 years.
- Objective: To promote the socio-economic development of De-notified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Communities
- The following schemes are being implemented by the Central Government through State Government/UT for the DNTs:-
- Ambedkar Pre-Matric and Post-Matric Scholarship for DNT Boys and Girls.
- Nanaji Deshmukh Scheme of Construction of Hostels for DNT Boys and Girls.
- A Committee under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog has taken up the task of identification of DNT communities which are yet to be formally classified.
- NITI Aayog has assigned the task of ethnographic survey of 62 tribes to the Anthropological Survey of India (AnSI) to conduct the studies of these communities in different parts of India