SC’s order on Rule Curve for the Mullaperiyar dam
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Geography & GS-II – Judiciary
- The Supreme Court said the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary will be personally responsible and appropriate action will be taken on failure to give information on the ‘rule curve’ for the Mullaperiyar dam to the Supreme Court-appointed Supervisory Committee.
Important value additions
- The ‘rule curve’ in a dam decides the fluctuating storage levels in a reservoir.
- The gate opening schedule of a dam is based on the ‘rule curve’.
- It is part of the “core safety” mechanism in a dam.
- It is a masonry gravity dam built at the confluence of Mullayar and Periyar rivers.
- Location: Kerala
- Operated and maintained by: Tamil Nadu.
- It was constructed between 1887 and 1895 by John Pennycuick