Water Quality Testing Framework
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and interventions
- Water Quality Testing Framework was recently rolled out under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Citizens can now get the water quality in their taps tested at reasonable rates, as part of the framework
- A network of National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) accredited labs will be set up in every State, district and block over the next year.
- At the panchayat level, teams of women of the village water and sanitation committees will be given field testing kits.
- Limited number of Private players can also be included.
- Estimated cost: ₹600 for all 16 water quality parameters
- Turnaround time for chemical tests: 24 hours
- Turnaround time for the biological contaminants: 48 hours.
- All results of testing will be fed into the Water Quality Information Management System (WQMIS).
- It is a portal developed with the support of the Indian Council of Medical Research.