World Health Assembly’s 1st resolution on Meningitis
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Health In news
- World Health Assembly endorsed the 1st ever resolution on meningitis prevention and control recently.
Important value additions
- It is a serious infection of the meninges – the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord
- It is a major global public health issue causing up to 5 million cases each year.
- It can be caused by many different pathogens including bacteria, fungi or viruses.
- The highest global burden is seen with bacterial meningitis.
- Examples of bacteria: Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Neisseria meningitidis
- Transmission: Person-to-person through droplets of respiratory or throat secretions from carriers.