E-visa facility for foreigners from 156 countries
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- The Union Home Ministry has restored the electronic visa (e-visa) facility for foreigners from 156 countries who intend to visit India for business, conferences and medical reasons, including for medical attendants. E-visa for tourists is yet to be restored
Important value additions
- An e-visa is provided in five categories — tourist, business, conference, medical, and medical attendant.
- Under the arrangement, a foreigner can apply online four days prior to travel.
- After the details are verified, an electronic travel authorisation (ETA) is generated, which has to be presented at the immigration checkpost on arrival
- Entry through e-visas is allowed only at 28 designated international airports and five major seaports in India.
- Though available to people of 171 countries before restrictions were announced in 2020, the facility has been restored only for 156.
- China, the U.K., Canada, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia are notable exclusions.
- The relaxation comes in the wake of a deadly second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.