Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Act, 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Polity; Centre-State Relations
- The Ministry of Home Affairs issued a gazette notification stating that the provisions of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Act, 2021, would be deemed to have come into effect from April 27.
- The Bill amends the Government of National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi Act, 1991.
- It provides a framework for the functioning of the Legislative Assembly (LA) and the government of the NCT of Delhi.
- It amends certain powers and responsibilities of the LA and the Lieutenant Governor (LG).
- It provides that the term “government” referred to in any law made by the LA will imply LG.
- It allows the Legislative Assembly to make Rules to regulate the procedure and conduct of business in the Assembly.
- It provides that such Rules must be consistent with the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Lok Sabha.
Do you know?
- It prohibits the LA from making any rule to enable itself or its Committees to:
- consider the matters of day-to-day administration of the NCT of Delhi and
- conduct any inquiry in relation to administrative decisions.
- Assent to Bills:
- The Act requires the LG to reserve certain Bills passed by the LA for the consideration of the President.
- It requires the LG to also reserve those Bills for the President which incidentally cover any of the matters outside the purview of the powers of the Legislative Assembly.
- LG’s opinion for executive actions:
- The Act specifies that all executive action by the government, whether taken on the advice of the Ministers or otherwise, must be taken in the name of the LG.
- The Bill adds that on certain matters, as specified by the LG, his opinion must be obtained before taking any executive action on the decisions of the Minister/ Council of Ministers.