Iran nuclear Programme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- Iran has started up advanced uranium enrichment centrifuges in a breach of its undertakings under a troubled 2015 nuclear deal, days after the start of talks on rescuing the accord.
- Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani inaugurated the three cascades of 164 IR-6 centrifuges, 30 IR-5 and another 30 IR-6 devices at Iran’s Natanz uranium enrichment plant.
- Iran’s latest move to step up uranium enrichment follows an opening round of talks in Vienna with representatives of the remaining parties to the nuclear deal on bringing the U.S. back into it
Do you know?
- The Vienna talks are focused on lifting crippling economic sanctions Trump reimposed on Iran.
- It also focuses on bringing Iran back into compliance after it responded by suspending several of its own commitments.
- Iran has demanded that the U.S. first lift all sanctions imposed by Trump, which include a sweeping unilateral ban on its oil exports, before it falls back in line with obligations it suspended.
- USA has demanded movement from Tehran in return