Biologics offer revolutionary approach to treating diseases
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & tech
- A nanoparticle was recently designed by researchers from University of Massachusetts, U.S.A
- It offers a new and potentially revolutionary approach to treating diseases.
- The new concept, Protein–Antibody Conjugates or PACs, combines two different approaches to drug delivery.
- One is biologics, where the idea is to target a defective protein in the system by delivering proteins to it.
- An example of this is the case of insulin treatment.
- The other approach is to use antibodies for drug delivery.
- Antibodies are something the body produces to detect a foreign substance inside the body.
- Now, PACs have a protein attached to the antibody.
- This could have an impact on incurable diseases like pancreatic cancer.