Converting Nitrogen Plants to Oxygen Plants
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health & GS – III – Sci & tech
- Considering the requirement of medical oxygen amidst the COVID-19 pandemic situation, the Government of India explored the feasibility of conversion of existing nitrogen plants to produce oxygen.
- Potential industries, wherein existing nitrogen plants may be converted for production of oxygen, were identified.
- In the nitrogen plants Carbon Molecular Sieve (CMS) is used whereas Zeolite Molecular Sieve (ZMS) is required for producing oxygen.
- Therefore, by replacing CMS with ZMS and carrying out few other changes such as oxygen analyzer, control panel system, flow valves etc. existing nitrogen plants can be modified to produce oxygen.
- A nitrogen plant modified for the production of oxygen can be either shifted to a nearby hospital.
- In case it is not feasible to shift the plant, it can be used for on-site production of oxygen, which can then be transported to hospital through specialized vessels/cylinders.