Computed Tomography Scan
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & tech
- CT scans have been in news since several Covid positive patients with mild to moderate Covid symptoms, and some with negative RT-PCR reports having Covid symptoms are coming for the test
Important value additions
- It is also known as computed tomography scan.
- It is a medical imaging technique used in radiology to get detailed images of the body noninvasively for diagnostic purposes.
- CT scanners use a rotating x-ray tube and a row of detectors placed in the gantry to measure X-ray attenuations by different tissues inside the body.
- The multiple X-ray measurements taken from different angles are then processed on a computer using reconstruction algorithms to produce tomographic (cross-sectional) images (virtual “slices”) of a body.
- The use of ionizing radiations sometimes restricts its use owing to its adverse effects.