Creation of a Lakshadweep Development Authority (LDA)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Polity and Governance
- People of Lakshadweep are Discontent over the creation of a Lakshadweep Development Authority (LDA) by the new administrator Praful Khoda Patel.
- Mr Patel is the first political appointee as Administrator, a post mostly held by retired civil servants.
- Islanders have pointed out that the legislation is out of sync with the social and environmental realities of the archipelago.
- The creation of the Lakshadweep Development Authority (LDA) with extensive powers includes eviction of land owners.
- It is widely seen as being pushed by the real estate lobby and against the interest of the islanders.
- Hundreds of islanders have written to the administrator demanding the withdrawal of the proposed Regulation.
- It includes provisions such as:
- orderly and progressive development of land in both urban and rural areas and to preserve and improve the amenities thereof;
- grant of permission to develop land and for other powers of control over the use of land;
- conferring additional powers in respect of the acquisition and development of land for planning.