Legal Metrology (Packaging Rules 2011)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- According to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Importers of medical devices, used particularly for providing oxygen support to Covid-19 patients, are now allowed to import these devices without prior mandatory declaration for the next three months, the said in a notification.
- The importers can make all necessary declarations after the custom clearance, but before they are sold to consumers.
- The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011, make it mandatory to get the approvals prior to the import.
- Department of Consumer Affairs administers the Legal Metrology Act 2009.
Do you know?
- The act provides for application of legal requirements to measurements and measuring instruments.
- The objective of Legal Metrology is to ensure public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements.
- The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities), Rules 2011 are primarily intended to ensure that the consumers are able to make informed choices by being informed of essential declarations on the pre-packed commodities.