Quality standards for four spices finalised
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- The Codex Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH) has finalised and recommended quality standards for four spices; cloves, oregano, basil, and ginger, during its fifth session held recently.
- The committee forwarded these four new standards to the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) for adoption as full -fledged Codex standards.
- New work items were also taken up: To develop Codex standards for small cardamom and turmeric, and to develop the first group standard for spices that fall under the class ‘dried fruits and berries’.
Do you know?
- CCSCH is the youngest of the Codex Commodity Committees.
- The Committee is Chaired by India
- Spices Board India is its Secretariat.
- Mandate: To elaborate worldwide, science-based quality standards for spices and culinary herbs, in accordance with the Codex principles of consumer protection and fair trade practices.
- Dr M.R. Sudharshan is the current Chairman of the Committee.