Place in news: Dahla Dam
Part of: GS Prelims GS – I – Geography & GS-II – International Relations
- The Taliban has captured Afghanistan’s second-biggest dam after months of fierce fighting in its former bastion of Kandahar.
- It provides irrigation to farmers via a network of canals as well as drinking water for the provincial capital
- It is now under Taliban control.
- The dam’s capture comes after clashes erupted in neighbouring Helmand province just days after the U.S. military formally began withdrawing its remaining troops from Afghanistan.
Important value additions
- The Dahla Dam is also known as Arghandab Dam.
- It is located in the Shah Wali Kot District of Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.
- Constructed in: 1952
- It is built on the Arghandab River.