Unique Disability ID (UDID)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Governance; Policies and interventions
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Government of India has made it mandatory for all States/UTs to grant certificate of disability through online mode only using UDID portal from 1st June
- The Central Government notified the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules, 2017 under RPwD Act, 2016
- Rule 18(5) mandates the Central Government to appoint a date making it mandatory for the State/UT authorities to issue certificate of disability through online mode.
- The UDID project has been under implementation since 2016.
- It will ensure complete digitization of certification of disability from 01.06.2021, besides providing a viable mechanism for cross-checking genuineness of the certificate to achieve pan-India validity, and simplifying the process for the benefit of Divyangjan.