Place in news: Vorukh
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- At least 31 people have been killed in Kyrgyzstan in heavy clashes at its disputed border with Tajikistan.
- More than a third of the two countries’ border is disputed, with the area surrounding the Vorukh, where recent conflict erupted.
- It is a regular flashpoint over territorial claims and access to water.
- Vorukh is a jamoat (administrative division) in northern Tajikistan.
- It is an enclave surrounded by Kyrgyzstan that forms part of the city of Isfara in Sughd Region.
- The location of the border of the enclave is disputed by the Tajik and Kyrgyz governments.